Dear Athletes and Friends:
Happy June – The 2015 Bay Area Senior Games are now in the RECORD BOOK
And the results are posted on line plus some fun photos too.
Congratulations to all the athletes who competed.. and to your commitment to fun and friendly competition!
Special shout out to Laura Val, who broke a NATIONAL Swim record for the 100 IM, her time 1:07.08 (old record 1:07:6) and Daniela Barnea, who broke a Pacific Master Swim Record for the 50 Breast, her time 41.39. (old record 41.57).
Second shout out to the water polo players and teams competing in a 14 team tournament headed up by the dean of water polo tournaments, Andy Burke!
Third shout out to the nearly 500 soccer players.. men and women.. playing a two day tournament from dawn to nightfall.. including over 85 players of age 70 years and up!
And finally, another record was broken by the 101 Pickleball players who enjoyed their 3- day tournament.
And this is not to diminish the fun, games and enjoyment of the other sports and competitors listed below.
Our organizers – Helen Mendel (operations master guru), Bob Weder (volunteer coordinator par excellence), Dr. Phil Harder's supervision of all medical plans, staff at all the venues used – see list below, and our incredible and committed sports chairs – all performed at the highest level and made the events of May memorable for each of us.
The BOX SCORE, THE VENUES AND THE SPORTS CHAIRSEvents Completed and their venues:
- Triathlon – Redwood Shores Center, Redwood City, in partnership with Stanford Treeathlon - Anne Cribbs
- Pickleball – Milpitas Community Center, Milpitas - Steve Sutton
- Badminton – California Badminton Academy, Fremont - Jeff & Karen Fishback
- Cycling – Ft. Ord – Tom Simpson
- Racquetball – Elks Club, Palo Alto – Merijean Kelley
- Volleyball – Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto – Alexis Bryce
- Table Tennis – ICC Community Center, Milpitas – Dennis Davis
- Archery – Black Mountain Bowman, San Jose – Karen Keating, Dawnell Scott
- Lawn Bowling – Palo Alto Lawn Bowls, Palo Alto – Terry Hogan
- Golf – Shoreline Links Golf Course, Mountain View - Dennis Barbata
- Water Polo – Stanford Avery Aquatic Center – Andy Burke
- Soccer – Stanford IM Fields – Mike Rohde, Laura Garratt, Rich Fern (head official)
- Swimming - Stanford Avery Aquatic Center – Michael Moore
- Basketball - Cubberley Community Center , Palo Alto -James Houston, Dave Newman
- Feats of Strength – Harder Arena, Castro Valley – Dale Harder
- 5 K Run – College of San Mateo Track – Leroy Milam
- Race Walk - College of San Mateo Track – Alex Price
- Track & Field - College of San Mateo Track – Leroy Milam
As always, thanks to our great sponsors - Sports Basement, Lincoln Financial Services, Bay Area Sports Organizing Committee (BASOC), San Mateo Community College District, City of Palo Alto, Stanford Athletics, Hobees, ZumoUSA.com (water polo & swim attire) and numerous volunteers, including Palo Alto Kiwanis Club, Serra High School and Palo Alto High School Volunteers.
As for 2016, we are in the process of scheduling venues, trying not to conflict with national championships and other important events. We hope to have the venues and dates confirmed by the first of September so you can make your plans. 2016 will be a qualifying year for the 2017 Summer National Senior Games. The confirmed State Championship which serves as a qualifier will once again be in Pasadena with a second qualifier to be held in Northern California (details and dates to be worked out)
In the meantime, happy training and competing, lots of games coming up in California so check our www.californiaseniorgames.org for dates and details.
In the Olympic Spirit,
Chair, California Senior Games Association
2015 Bay Area Senior Games Chair
1960 Olympian – USA