This is a great holiday time of the year… Halloween, Thanksgiving and one of my favorites and I hope you all spend it with friends and family and enjoy the time together. I am thankful for all the Senior Games Athletes – who inspire others, love their sport and their competitors and set an incredible example for all!
The official schedule for the 2017 Bay Area Senior Games will be posted in January and will be ready for on-line sign ups. Please note – hard to believe this - but this will be our 12th Anniversary – as we started the Bay Area Senior Games in 2006 – as test events for the 2009 Summer National Senior Games. Please sign up early and bring a fellow athlete who may or may not know about the Bay Area Senior Games! No experience necessary!
As usual, we are working around venue schedules, referees and official schedules, national championships, and other Games!
I am thankful for our special Bay Area Senior Games Team –
Our organizers – Helen Mendel (operations master guru), Bob Weder (volunteer coordinator par excellence), Dr. Phil Harder's supervision of all medical plans, and our incredible and committed sports chairs – all who perform at the highest level and make the sporting events of each Senior Games memorable for each of us.
- Archery – Karen Keating, Dawnell Scott
- Badminton – Jeff & Karen Fishback
- Basketball – James Houston, Beth Schneider
- Cycling – Tom Simpson
- Feats of Strength – Dale Harder
- Golf – Dennis Barbata
- Lawn Bowling – Terry Hogan
- Pickleball – Steve Sutton
- Racquetball – Merijean Kelley
- Soccer – Mike Rohde, Laura Garratt, & Rich Fern (head official)
- Swimming – Michael Moore
- Table Tennis – Dennis Davis
- Track & Field – Leroy Milam
- 5 K Run – Leroy Milam
- Triathlon – in partnership with Stanford Treeathlon
- Volleyball – Alexis Bryce
- Water Polo – Andy Burke
In the meantime, Happy Halloween, Happy Thanksgiving, happy training and competing, lots of games coming up in California in 2017, so check our www.californiaseniorgames.org and www.bayareaseniorgames.org websites for dates and details.
In the Olympic Spirit,
Chair, California Senior Games Association
2016 Bay Area Senior Games Chair
1960 Olympian – USA