Dear Athletes and Friends:
Happy Thanksgiving! This is a great holiday… one of my favorite and I hope you all spend it with friends and family and enjoy the time together. I am thankful for all the California Senior Games Athletes – who inspire others, love their sport and their competitors and set an incredible example for all!
The official schedule for the 2016 Bay Area Senior Games will be posted in early December and be ready for on-line sign ups. Please note – hard to believe - but this will be our 10th Anniversary – as we started the Bay Area Senior Games in 2006 – as test events for the 2009 Summer National Senior Games. Please sign up early and bring a fellow athlete who may or may not know about the Bay Area Senior Games!
As usual, we are working around venue schedules, referee and official schedules, national championships, other Games and Mother’s Day! We have added softball – both men and women’s teams -back to the Games as we found fields in Redwood City.
I am thankful for our special Bay Area Senior Games Team – listed below: Our organizers – Helen Mendel (operations master guru), Bob Weder (volunteer coordinator par excellence), Dr. Phil Harder's supervision of all medical plans, staff at all the venues used – see list below, and our incredible and committed sports chairs – all perform at the highest level and made the sporting events of each May memorable for each of us.
- The BOX SCORE, THE VENUES AND THE SPORTS CHAIRS
- Triathlon – Redwood Shores Center, Redwood City, in partnership with Stanford Treeathlon – March 6, 2016.
- Pickleball – City of Palo Alto Mitchell Park - Steve Sutton
- Badminton – California Badminton Academy, Fremont - Jeff & Karen Fishback
- Cycling – Ft. Ord – Tom Simpson
- Racquetball – Elks Club, Palo Alto – Merijean Kelley
- Volleyball – Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto – Alexis Bryce
- Table Tennis – ICC Community Center, Milpitas – Dennis Davis
- Archery – Black Mountain Bowman, San Jose
Karen Keating, Dawnell Scott
- Lawn Bowling – Palo Alto Lawn Bowls, Palo Alto – Terry Hogan
- Golf – Shoreline Links Golf Course, Mountain View - Dennis Barbata
- Water Polo – Stanford Avery Aquatic Center – Andy Burke
- Soccer – Stanford IM Fields – Mike Rohde, Laura Garratt,
Rich Fern (head official)
- Swimming - Stanford Avery Aquatic Center – Michael Moore
- Basketball - Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto -James Houston
- Feats of Strength – Harder Arena, Castro Valley – Dale Harder
- 5 K Run – College of San Mateo Track – Leroy Milam
- Race Walk - College of San Mateo Track – TBA
- Track & Field - College of San Mateo Track – Leroy Milam
- Softball – City of Redwood City – Noel Lanctot & Ray Miranda
Finally, still working on a potential rowing regatta – in Redwood City.
Volunteer Registration will be open on 2/1/16. Volunteers are needed and much appreciated.
2016 will be a qualifying year for the 2017 Summer National Senior Games, scheduled for Birmingham, Alabama. The confirmed State Championship, which serves as a qualifier, will once again be in Pasadena with a second qualifier to be held in Northern California (details and dates to be worked out, target date is early November, 2016 to give California athletes a second chance to qualify for 2017)
In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving, happy training and competing, lots of games coming up in California in 2016, so check our www.californiaseniorgames.org for dates and details.
In the Olympic Spirit,
Chair, California Senior Games Association
2015 Bay Area Senior Games Chair
1960 Olympian – USA