Dear Athletes and Friends:
Happy Fall – hope you enjoying this beautiful “Indian summer”. The crisp fall air makes me want to get out and walk/run/swim/throw/play and I hope you do too!
We are hard at work scheduling the 2016 Bay Area Senior Games - and looking forward to our 10 year anniversary next May.
Venues are almost set – our self-imposed deadline is Nov. 1, with registration open on January 1, 2016 to kick off the New Year!
As usual, we are working around venue schedules, referee and official schedules, national championships, other Games and Mother’s Day!
We have a special team – wanted to give a shout out to them as we start on Year 10 - Our organizers – Helen Mendel (operations master guru), Bob Weder (volunteer coordinator par excellence), Dr. Phil Harder's supervision of all medical plans, staff at all the venues used – see list below, and our incredible and committed sports chairs – all perform at the highest level and made the sporting events of each May memorable for each of us.
The BOX SCORE, THE VENUES AND THE SPORTS CHAIRS
- Triathlon – Redwood Shores Center, Redwood City, in partnership with Stanford Treeathlon – Tentative Date for 2016 is March 6
- Pickleball – Milpitas Community Center, Milpitas - Steve Sutton
- Badminton – California Badminton Academy, Fremont - Jeff & Karen Fishback
- Cycling – Ft. Ord – Tom Simpson
- Racquetball – Elks Club, Palo Alto – Merijean Kelley
- Volleyball – Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto – Alexis Bryce
- Table Tennis – ICC Community Center, Milpitas – Dennis Davis
- Archery – Black Mountain Bowman, San Jose
Karen Keating, Dawnell Scott
- Lawn Bowling – Palo Alto Lawn Bowls, Palo Alto – Terry Hogan
- Golf – Shoreline Links Golf Course, Mountain View - Dennis Barbata
- Water Polo – Stanford Avery Aquatic Center – Andy Burke
- Soccer – Stanford IM Fields – Mike Rohde, Laura Garratt, Rich Fern (head official)
- Swimming - Stanford Avery Aquatic Center – Michael Moore
- Basketball - Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto -James Houston
- Feats of Strength – Harder Arena, Castro Valley – Dale Harder
- 5 K Run – College of San Mateo Track – Leroy Milam
- Race Walk - College of San Mateo Track – TBA
- Track & Field - College of San Mateo Track – Leroy Milam
And we are also looking at a softball tournament and a rowing regatta – both in Redwood City. Details to come.
Volunteer Registration will be open on 2/1/16. Volunteers are needed and much appreciated.
2016 will be a qualifying year for the 2017 Summer National Senior Games, scheduled for Birmingham, Alabama. The confirmed State Championship, which serves as a qualifier, will once again be in Pasadena with a second qualifier to be held in Northern California (details and dates to be worked out, target date is early November)
In the meantime, happy training and competing, lots of games coming up in California in 2016, so check our www.californiaseniorgames.org for dates and details.
In the Olympic Spirit,
Chair, California Senior Games Association
2015 Bay Area Senior Games Chair
1960 Olympian – USA