Dear Athletes and Friends:
Happy Monday, May 4th
I am delighted to report that as of today, the 2015 Bay Area Senior Games are underway, with five sports completed - Triathlon (March) and this past weekend — Cycling, Racquetball, Pickleball and Badminton.
Beautiful weather and from what I'm hearing the results were happy athletes, good competition, great stories, and photographs to come - will be posted on web site once we get them.
May 1, Friday
1. Pickleball at Milpitas Sports Center kicked off with almost 100 Pickleballers — Congratulations to this year's PickleBall Sports Commissioner, Steve Sutton. The Friday Men's Doubles were followed by Saturday's Women's Doubles, and Mixed Doubles contested on Sunday. Results coming soon! We are so happy Pickleball is part of our Bay Area Senior Games!
Great Weekend: May 2 & 3, Saturday and Sunday
2. Badminton at California Badminton Academy was headed up by Sports Commissioners Jeff and Karen Fishback. Special thanks to our returning sponsor, YONEX. Forty badminton players enjoyed spirited competition!
3. Cycling at Ft. Ord went off without a hitch, less wind than 2014, but still some, especially on the uphill climb. Cyclists loved the course (closed to auto traffic) 10K Time trials at 10:00am, 20K Road Race at 12:30 noon. Beautiful country, enthusiastic cyclists -a great start to a premier cycling event - a weekend in Monterey - for Senior Cyclists in 2015.
Excellent work by Sports Commissioner Tom Simpson and Pilarcitos Cyclesports team.
Sunday was great as well, with a 5K Time Trial at 10:00am and a 40K Road Race at 12:30 with spirited awards presentation following each event. Thanks to the cyclists who had great stories to tell - and a commitment to help recruit more cyclists in 2016. This year's total was 32 athletes, most riding in all events (but only 5 women). Spread the word!
4. Racquetball — once again headed up by Merijean Kelley, competitors enjoyed their time on Saturday, at the beautiful and brand new Palo Alto Elks Club facility. The Bay Area Senior Games appreciates the opportunity to compete at this venue.
And starting today — Lawn Bowling at the beautiful Palo Alto Lawn Bowls. When I stopped by this morning, I had the opportunity to welcome all the athletes, dressed in traditional whites who were engaged in the opening announcements. Lawn Bowling continues until Thursday.
Results will be posted in a few days (as they are provided by the Sport Commissioners) at www.bayareaseniorgames.org.
The Box Score
Coming up this weekend — May 9 & 10
- Table Tennis
Following Weekend — May 15, 16, 17
- Water Polo
Final Weekend — May 23-24
- Feats of Strength
- Track & Field
As always, thanks to our great sponsors - Sports Basement, Lincoln Financial Services, Bay Area Sports Organizing Committee, San Mateo Community College District, City of Palo Alto, Stanford Athletics and numerous volunteers!
Registration is still open for the following sports. NOTE the last day for registration listed.
1. Golf — closes May 8
2. Swimming — closes May 8
3. Feats of Strength - closes May 18
4. RaceWalk — closes May 11
5. 5K Road Race — closes May 11
6. Track & Field —closes May 11
Finally - we are in need of more volunteers for the future weekends especially in the sports of
1. Swimming — Sunday, May 17
2. Soccer — Saturday & Sunday, May 16 & 17
3. General Check — In - Saturday & Sunday, May 16 & 17
If you or your organization can help, please go to www.bayareaseniorgames.org and sign up using the YELLOW volunteer button on the home page.
Chair, California Senior Games Association
2015 Bay Area Senior Games Chair
1960 Olympian – USA